Not only is Colombian singer J Balvin the biggest Reggaeton star in the world right now, he’s also Music Choice’s September Artist of the Month! Check out our exclusive interview with him on Music Choice On Demand and the Music Choice App starting September 1. Since you’re here now, scroll down and check out eight fun facts about the superstar and get to know the current Billboard Dance/Mix chart #1 artist a bit more!
- J Balvin just notched his very first Billboard Dance/Mix #1 with his Cardi B and Bad Bunny collaboration “I Like It”.
- His first connection to music was when he was 12, and he started listening to rock artists like Nirvana, Metallica, and The Offspring.
- His 2016 album Energia took home the Latin Grammy for Best Urban Music Album at that year’s ceremony.
- He was the freestyle champion for two consecutive years in his hometown of Medellin, Colombia.
- He has said that fashion is “his life’s passion, on the same level of music.”
- At 17, Balvin moved to New York City and was a dog walker in SOHO!
- He cancelled what would have been his first mainstream TV performance in 2015 at the Miss USA pageant when the organization’s co-owner Donald Trump made insensitive remarks about Latinx immigrants.
- He believes that music has the power to go “further than any border, any language.”